Report Identity Theft: Do You Know Where To Get Help?
Identity theft resources are very important to be aware of and to report identity theft, particularly if you are a victim of identity theft. identity theft has sharply risen in the last year, and become even more prevalent because of our weakened economy.
This makes it even More imperative to be aware of ways to prevent identity theft and, if you are a victim, go to identity theft victims to learn more.
Besides my web site at www.beyondidentitytheft.com, here is a list of other resources that are imperative for fighting this horrendous crime.
Convenient Identity Theft Resources To Report Identity Theft
- The above list gives the most commonly visited web sites for identity theft help.ftc.gov
Multiple services are also provided by credit card companies in the fight against identity theft.
See more at best home security companies for more identity theft resources.
Identity Theft Affidavit
See my list for best online banks for another great resource.
More Resources for Identity Theft
- Make sure you follow up your phone request in writing if your creditor requires you fill out the form.File a police report.
- Make sure you file a report with the police before you fill out an FTC affidavit.
- Most police reports may be filed over the phone.
- The police will give you a report number.
- The report number will be required by your creditors, in addition to your fraud affidavit.
- Download and print the form in order to fill it out, as you will be unable to fill it out online.
- Check with each creditor separately to see what form they require.
- Send the request certified return receipt.
- When your correspondence is received, whoever picks up the mail must sign for it.
- This is verification the company received your letter.
- There is a choice to notarize, but it is not required by law.
- Some companies consider your form to be more credible if notarized.
- Notarizing costs a minimal fee.
A checklist of documentation is included in the affidavit and includes;
- Government-issued picture identification such as a state-issued ID card, passport or driver’s license.
Proof of residency during the time the disputed event or transaction took place.
- List all the accounts on the affidavit’s chart that were opened fraudulently, the address of the company where the account was opened, type of account, the account number, what amount, and the date it was opened.
- You will send this chart to all credit bureaus as a part of the affidavit.
- Use this chart to also be a reference to track the contacts you made and what was said.
- Each creditor, utility company, or bank fraud division must be sent a copy of this affidavit, as all these companies provided unauthorized purchases, services or credit to the identity thief.
- Many companies will send you their own dispute forms after they receive your affidavit.
- Other companies will only accept their own dispute form and a police report.