Identity Theft Statistics
Identity theft statistics are alarming. More and more people are becoming victims every day.
Did you know that...
- 28 million Americans have been victims of this crime in the last 5 years.
- A thief only needs one line of numbers in your checkbook.
- According to CBS News, "Every 79 seconds, someone's identity is stolen".
General, John M. Shalikashvilli, the former Joint Chiefs of Staff,
became a victim after having his Social Security number published in the
- The direct cost to us, the consumer, is over 5 billion dollars.
- Tiger Woods, Oprah and Robert De Niro have also had this happen, but it can happen to us "regular people", too.
- 2010 shows at least one member 12 or older in 8.6 million households were victimized by one or more types of identity theft.
were victims of attempted misuse, or misuse of an existing credit card
account in 2010 and these identity theft statistics are only from the
victims that reported this crime.
The number of
victims has to be staggering if you include the actual thefts there have
been from victims that didn't report this crime.
Why These Identity Theft
I have become educated
Statistics are Important to Me
about this horrible crime due to being raised in a family whose father was in law enforcement and by working in different aspects of law and the security field for many years myself.
I had one uncle who was a detective, one uncle and aunt who worked for the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms); another uncle who worked in the Sheriffs Department and one aunt who worked as a matron in a prison.
Because of educating myself with identity theft knowledge, I was able to stop myself from becoming a victim when someone tried to steal my identity.
A Growing Problem
Identity theft was not a major problem until about 10 years ago.
I started seeing more and more of this vicious crime happening.
Identity theft facts make it clear that it is here to stay.
- I know of numerous people, many personally, that have been victims of identity theft. Their lives became a "living nightmare",...
All because of their lack of knowledge on how to protect themselves from this devastating crime.
I don't want to see you become a statistic in this nasty identity theft "game", so I've partnered up with Identity Theft Deterrent.
I encourage you to click here
and gain an understanding of how this resource can help you.
Getting caught up in the dangers of identity theft isn't something you need to endure.
It's my passion to expose to you all the secrets and techniques for keeping you and your family safe.
Learn how to Prevent Identity Theft Without Paying Monthly Fees
Criminals are committing more and more identity theft and the tanking economy has only intensified the problem. This is evident in identity theft statistics.
Return from Identity Theft Statistics to Identity Theft Facts Home Page
From IdentityTheft Statistics to What Is Identity Theft